The New Deal-era Home Owner’s Loan Corporation, or HOLC, created maps that influenced lending patterns for decades to come. Get deeper insights into current neighborhood trends using historic mortgage lending guidelines for 148 cities across the US.
Understand income inequality on PolicyMap with the Gini Index from the American Community Survey (ACS), and identify locations of mixed-income neighborhoods or areas with social outcome disparities.
Using the Search bar on PolicyMap, you can now look for the data you need without having to find it in the menus. Please note that the Search feature is currently in beta.
Other New and Updated Data on PolicyMap
Incomes & Spending
- New: Gini Index of Income Inequality, 2011-2015, US Census’ American Community Survey
- Update: Free and Reduced Price Lunch Recipients, 2014-2015, National Center for Education Statistics
- Update: Population Receiving Food Stamps, 2014, US Census’ Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates
- Update: Persistent Poverty Counties, 2017, Community Development Financial Institutions Fund
- Update: Food Insecurity, 2015, Feeding America
- New: Home Owners’ Loan Corporation Risk Maps, 1935-1940, University of Richmond, University of Maryland, Virginia Tech, Johns Hopkins University
- Update: Unbanked Households, 2015, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Update: Bank Failures, 2017, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Quality of Life
- Update: SNAP Retail Locations, 2017, US Department of Agriculture
- Update: Monthly Unemployment Rates, May 2017, Bureau of Labor Statistic
- Update: Student-Teacher Ratio, Student English Language Learners, Special Education Students, 2014-2015, National Center for Education Statistics
- Update: Public University Tuition, 2015-2016, National Center for Education Statistics
- Update: Seasonal Flu Activity Level, 2017, Centers for Disease Control
- Update: Medically Underserved Areas, 2017, US Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration
- Update: CRA Eligibility and Tract Median Family Income as a percent of Area MFI, 2017, Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, US Census and US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Update: Distressed Counties, 2017, Delta Regional Authority (CDFI Fund and PolicyMap)
- Update: Capital Magnet Fund Areas of Economic Distress, Underserved Rural Areas, and Metro/Non-Metro Tracts, 2017, Community Development Financial Institutions Fund