|Job Title:||Data Analyst|
|Department:||Data and Content Development|
|Reports to:||Data Development Lead|
|Prepared Date:||May 17, 2022|
About PolicyMap, Inc.
PolicyMap is a national online mapping tool and platform that enables its customers to access data about communities and markets across the US. It is used for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications and impact analysis. We offer access to the PolicyMap tool through subscriptions and enterprise access, license the underlying data in our platform and help organizations and companies bring interactive mapping to their own websites. Launched in 2008, PolicyMap now has hundreds of customers, including federal, state and local government agencies, major universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms spanning real estate, banking and health care. PolicyMap is a Benefit Corporation founded on the belief that data has the power to change communities and markets.
PolicyMap seeks an experienced, collaborative and highly organized team member who has a foundation in working with geographic data related to socio-economic conditions in the United States.
The Data Analyst will contribute to the Data and Content Development Team by sourcing, acquiring, maintaining, and curating data for our online data and mapping services. Because PolicyMap customers include government agencies, universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms, the Data Analyst must have an aptitude for conceptualizing data related to a variety of topics related to housing, poverty and health, to name a few.
The Data Analyst contributes to the Data Development Team by playing an integral role in the creation of new, unique data indicators derived from the combination of public and proprietary data using rigorous statistical methods. The Data Analyst is also responsible for maintaining existing datasets on PolicyMap. Essential to the position is the capacity to contribute to PolicyMap’s role as a thought leader in data and mapping by providing fresh, relevant ideas and submissions to our blog, social media and Mapchats webinar series. This role also requires candidates who are invested in and enthusiastic about providing attention to detail to the PolicyMap platform by occasionally testing beta products and QA of the various PolicyMap products, which include our main site, our major client projects, and our API offering.
The Data Analyst will report to the Data Development Lead. In addition to supporting many aspects of the Data Development Team, the Data Analyst will also support discrete projects for the Data Services team, as needed. This would include processing custom data requests for customers.
Members of the PolicyMap team work well independently and take ownership of our individual workloads, while leveraging the strengths of our team members through collaboration.
Since March of 2020, and in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, PolicyMap staff has worked remotely full time. Our office in Center City Philadelphia remains open for team members who wish to work in the office from time to time. Going forward, our intent is to continue to offer a dynamic work experience where employees can work from the location of their choosing while being held accountable for achieving goals. We value the collegiality and energy that comes from working together in person and intend to have in-person meetings in the Philadelphia office on occasion going forward. This position will require occasional commuting to the Philadelphia office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Data Set Processing
- Research and procure large and small public and proprietary datasets
- Collect, process, and document our datasets using SQL, QGIS, R, and Python
- Communicate with tech team to ensure data appears properly in PolicyMap
- Author documentation of process and dataset indicators
- Provide validation and quality assurance of datasets
- Validate other team members’ datasets
New Data Creation and Thought Leadership
- Contribute to the implementation of original, unique data and analytics new to PolicyMap
- Brainstorm ideas and contribute to PolicyMap’s social media efforts, blog articles, and Mapchats
webinar series related to current policy topics
- Participate in testing beta versions of new features
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree required with preference for Master’s Degree (or two years’ commensurate work experience) in urban planning, public policy, health services research, economics, public health, anthropology, sociology, demography or other related fields
- Two years’ commensurate work experience required (can include internships)
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience required with SQL (MS SQL or PostgreSQL) or other
relational databases, GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS); one or more statistical software programs (SPSS, SAS, R) a plus; experience with Python a plus
- Experience using federal data, such as data published by the U.S. Census Bureau or Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
- Familiarity with current public policy issues and community development concerns
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent technical and compositional writing skills
- Able to write on a variety of topics to all types of audiences
- Experience in blogging and social media preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ownership/Accountability – Actively manages work and issues through to completion.
- Customer Service – Understands and manages customer expectations.
- Communication – Effectively communicates needs, challenges, and expectations to other staff
- Initiative – Anticipates and communicates challenges and opportunities.
- Commitment – Demonstrates sense of passion and urgency for work, mission and organization.
- Adaptability – Sees opportunity and risk for continuous improvement.
- Efficiency and Productivity – Determines priorities and allocates time and focus accordingly.
- Professional/Technical Expertise – Understands and applies technical/procedural knowledge of job.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary based on experience and skills
- Participation in the Employee Stock Equity Program
- Annual bonus based on company and individual performance
- Employer-paid health coverage and prescription plan
- Employer-paid vision and dental coverage
- Employer-paid disability and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan with employer-paid match
- Up to 31 days Paid Time Off (vacation and sick leave), depending on level of experience
- 10 paid federal holidays
- Community Volunteer Time Off
- Family and medical leave
- Tax savings plans for transportation, dependent care, and medical expenses
- Employer paid Employee Assistance Programs
PolicyMap will not sponsor any applicants for an employment visa now or in the future for this position.
Please email resume with cover letter, salary requirement and research and/or writing sample to:
PolicyMap, Inc. uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. PolicyMap, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PolicyMap does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.