About PolicyMap, INC
PolicyMap is a national online mapping tool and platform that enables its customers to access data about communities and markets across the US. It is used for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications and impact analysis. We offer access to the PolicyMap tool through subscriptions and enterprise access, license the underlying data in our platform and help organizations and companies bring interactive mapping to their own websites. Launched in 2008, PolicyMap now has hundreds of customers, including federal, state and local government agencies, major universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms spanning real estate, banking and health care. PolicyMap is a Benefit Corporation founded on the belief that data has the power to change communities and markets.
PolicyMap seeks an experienced, collaborative and highly organized team member who has a strong foundation in working with geographic data related to socio-economic conditions in the United States.
The Data Services Analyst will provide data and mapping services to PolicyMap clients by interpreting their needs and providing a work product consistent with the expectations of the client and of the Team. The Data Services Analyst will have direct contact with PolicyMap clients and will be responsible for acquiring, assessing and processing customer data. This role will serve various levels of PolicyMap customers from Premium to Enterprise-level Subscribers. Because PolicyMap customers include government agencies, universities, non-profit organizations and commercial firms, the Data Services Analyst must have an aptitude for conceptualizing data related to a variety of topics related to housing, poverty and health, to name a few.
The Analyst will report to the Data Services Lead. In addition to supporting all aspects of the Data Services Team, the Data Services Analyst will also support discrete projects for the Data Development Team, as needed. This would include processing of PolicyMap platform datasets.
The Data Services Analyst will also be responsible for periodically contributing to PolicyMap’s thought leadership in data and mapping by providing relevant ideas and submissions to our blog and social media as well as through the coordination and creation of customer stories in key target markets. This role will also be occasionally involved in testing and QA of various PolicyMap products including our main site as well as major client projects.
Members of the PolicyMap team work well independently and take ownership of our individual workloads, while leveraging the strengths of our team members through collaboration. The position will be temporarily remote with partial commuting required to Center City Philadelphia office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Customer Data Set Processing
- Procure, process and document subscriber datasets of varying sizes using MS SQL Server Management Studio/Azure Data Studio, MS Access and ArcGIS/QGIS
- Communicate with the Tech Team to ensure data appears properly in PolicyMap
- Provide validation and quality assurance of datasets
Customer Data Services
- Manage custom project work, working iteratively, from initial scope development to final deliverable
- Serve as primary client contact for many of PolicyMap’s subscribers
- Translate technical data descriptions into user-friendly concepts accessible to a lay audience
- Advise clients with preparation of their subscriber dataset, separate mapping interface and/or enterprise license
- Provide trainings and Q&A sessions to familiarize customers with their own data on PolicyMap
- Conduct regular outreach and engagement with PolicyMap subscribers
- Process PolicyMap platform datasets, as needed
- Brainstorm ideas and contribute to PolicyMap’s blog and social media efforts
- Contribute to the development of customer stories in target markets
- Participate in testing beta versions of new products and features
- Provide customer feedback on data and product requests for leadership team assessment
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required with preference for Master’s Degree (or 2 years’ commensurate work experience) in urban planning, public policy, health services research, economics, public health, anthropology, sociology, demography or other related fields
- Two years’ commensurate work experience required (can include internships)
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience required with GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS), SQL and/or MS Access, or other relational databases; one or more statistical software programs (SPSS, SAS, R) a plus
- Familiarity with geographic data and federal data, such as U.S. Census, needed to understand current public policy issues
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent technical and compositional writing skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ownership/Accountability – Actively manages work and issues through to completion.
- Customer Service – Understands and manages customer expectations.
- Initiative – Anticipates and communicates challenges and opportunities.
- Commitment – Demonstrates sense of passion and urgency for work, mission and organization.
- Adaptability – Sees opportunity and risk for continuous improvement.
- Efficiency and Productivity – Determines priorities and allocates time and focus accordingly.
- Professional/Technical Expertise – Understands and applies technical/procedural knowledge of job.
Compensation and Benefits:
PolicyMap, Inc. offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, and transportation), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, and EAP program.
Please email resume with cover letter, salary requirement and writing sample to:
PolicyMap, Inc. uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. PolicyMap, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PolicyMap, Inc. does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.