Director of Data Analytics
|Job Title:||Director of Data Analytics|
|Department:||Data and Content Development|
|Reports to:||Chief Data Officer (CDO)|
|Prepared Date:||July 15, 2022|
About PolicyMap, Inc.
PolicyMap is a national online mapping tool and platform that enables its customers to easily access data about communities and markets across the US. Its user-friendly interface does not require any special technical skills. The tool is used for research, market studies, business and community planning, site selection, grant applications and impact analysis.
We offer access to the PolicyMap tool through individual subscriptions and enterprise access; additionally, we license the underlying data in the platform to help organizations bring interactive mapping to their own websites. Launched in 2008, PolicyMap now has hundreds of customers, including federal, state, and local government agencies, major universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms spanning real estate, banking, and health care. PolicyMap is a Benefit Corporation founded on the belief that data has the power to change communities and markets.
The data in the PolicyMap platform spans several content areas in the social sciences and is considered the cornerstone of the company. We are seeking a Director of Data Analytics to support the advancement, management, and maintenance of this key asset.
The person in this position will report to the Chief Data Officer (CDO) and will manage the Data Development Team, a group that currently includes three positions. The role is responsible for implementing the organization’s data development strategy through researching and adding new data and analytics, maintaining the sizable existing data portfolio, and modernizing the Data Team’s internal processes. As a leader within the Data and Content Development Department, the Director of Data Analytics will be responsible for ensuring competing deadlines are met and that datasets reflective of PolicyMap’s growing user base are released in a steady cadence. The role will regularly brief the PolicyMap senior team on all data development projects, timelines, priorities, and progress. Given the importance of data accuracy, the Director of Data Analytics is also responsible for ensuring the maintenance and quality assurance of existing datasets on PolicyMap.
In addition, the role is responsible for the development of customer datasets on an ad hoc basis, for inclusion in the PolicyMap platform. The nature of these customer requests and the general workflow of the Data Development Team requires the candidate to be very flexible. This characteristic of the position doesn’t negate the need for smart planning and execution, but rather highlights the dynamics of working with a small team. It also illustrates how the Data Development Team, like all PolicyMap functional areas, strives to provide customers with outstanding and responsive customer service. The organization has proudly achieved a 95% renewal rate with existing customers, as validation to this commitment.
The timing of this hire includes some unique opportunities. First, with a few open positions currently on the Data Team, the Director of Data Analytics will have the chance to hire for and build out the Data Development Team while working with existing team members. These new hires, like all members of the PolicyMap team, are expected to work well independently and take ownership of individual workloads, while leveraging the strengths of other team members through collaboration. The Director of Data Analytics will also need to be adept at briefing leadership, working coordinatively with directors and leads, and managing expectations and engendering buy-in from Data Team members.
Additionally, the position will be tasked with supporting an effort to modernize the Data Team’s processes, as part of a larger database reorganization project currently underway with the PolicyMap Tech Team. The Director of Data Analytics will advise on the design and ultimate implementation of solutions that will allow for scalability of Data operations that are aligned with the Tech Team and the larger organization.
Since March of 2020, and in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, PolicyMap staff has worked remotely full time. Our office in Center City Philadelphia remains open for team members who wish to work in the office from time to time. Going forward, our intent is to continue to offer a dynamic work experience where employees can work from the location of their choosing while being held accountable for achieving goals. We value the collegiality and energy that comes from working together in person and intend to have in-person meetings in the Philadelphia office on occasion going forward. This position currently requires occasional commuting to the Philadelphia office in the near term with the possibility of a weekly commuting cadence in the future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and maintain all aspects of a data development strategy for review by the CDO
- Serve as technical advisor in partnering with Tech Team, Data Team, and CDO to modernize the Data Team’s infrastructure for scalability, with the goal of eventually moving it to a cloud-centric model.
- Oversee the creation of original, unique data and analytics new to PolicyMap
- Manage data development projects, including scoping, timeline, and budgeting for staff time
- With CDO, prioritize projects based on a combination of the needs of customers, marketing, sales, and opportunities for exploring current events/topics
- Manage Data Development Team of data analysts, senior data scientist, interns
- Ensure and implement the collection, processing and documentation of our datasets using SQL, QGIS, R, and Python
- Ensure accuracy of documentation and availability of all Data Development-supported datasets available in the PolicyMap platform for data licensing purposes
- Author documentation of all aspects of dataset processing, including data dictionary entries for external use and internal technical memos
- Communicate with Tech Team to ensure data appears properly within all tools and features of the PolicyMap application
- Provide validation and quality assurance of datasets
- Continually research data development best practices, pilot a selection of the most relevant, and introduce them to the Data Team
- Assist CDO in scoping and pricing custom data work for potential clients
- Brainstorm ideas and contribute to PolicyMap’s blog content related to current policy topics
- Communicate with Business Development and Customer Success to answer technical questions for clients
- Participate in occasionally testing beta versions of new features
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s Degree in computer science, data science, urban planning, public policy, health services research, economics, demography or other related fields
- Ten years’ commensurate work experience required
- At least four years’ experience directly managing and supervising a team
- • Demonstrated proficiency and experience required with SQL (MS SQL or PostgreSQL) or other relational databases; one or more statistical software programs (SPSS, SAS, R); Python; code repository/version control experience (Git or GitLab); familiarity with GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS)
- Dedication to and accountability for accuracy and completeness
- Facility for managing expectations across teams and roles
- Experience using federal data, such as U.S. Census Bureau and Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
- Familiarity with current public policy issues and community development concerns
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent technical and compositional writing skills
- Strong project management skills
- Proven ability to manage expectations across the organization, including senior leadership
- Exemplary team leadership skills
Compensation and Benefits:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Competitive salary based on experience and skills
- Participation in the Employee Stock Equity Program
- Annual bonus based on company and individual performance
- Employer-paid health coverage and prescription plan
- Employer-paid vision and dental coverage
- Employer-paid disability and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan with employer-paid match
- Up to 31 days Paid Time Off (vacation and sick leave), depending on level of experience
- 10 paid federal holidays
- Community Volunteer Time Off
- Paid family leave
- Tax savings plans for transportation, dependent care, and medical expenses
- Employer paid Employee Assistance Programs
PolicyMap will not sponsor any applicants for an employment visa now or in the future for this position.
Please email resume with cover letter, salary requirement and research and/or writing sample to:
PolicyMap, Inc. uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. PolicyMap, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PolicyMap does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.