What is the PolicyMap Widget?
PolicyMap offers its subscribers the ability to embed a fully interactive widget on their own websites. Widgets are customizable instances of PolicyMap maps with dynamic features such as the ability to zoom into or pan across a map, click on an area to view the underlying data or toggle between additional data layers and points of data. These maps give visitors to a subscriber’s website the opportunity to interact with data relevant to the organization’s work. For more information about widgets, or to see examples of widgets on the web see our widget product page.
Using the PolicyMap Widget
- Zooming and Panning on the Map – Using your mouse, you can zoom into the map to see neighborhood level data, zoom out to see regional or national views and pan around to see other locations.
- Map Title – This simple sentence, located at the top of the map, tells you what data is currently displayed on the map.
- Details – Select the Map Title to learn more about the data you are viewing. The “see data directory” link will take you to the PolicyMap website for more information on the data source.
- Shade By – This will show the geography that the data is shown at. Users can select menu to change the aggregation to other geographies.
- Info Bubble – You can click on any shaded area of the map to find the exact value for that location.
- The Legend will show the values of the colored ranges, source of the data, and options to edit the data.* Year
- – Users can change the time period of the data, toggling between years, quarters, or months.
- – Users can change the variable of the data, this includes number, percent, or percent change.
- Add Data – Select the Add Data button to open a menu data to add onto the maps. There are 3 types of data that can be added:
- Data Layers show data as the thematic color maps. Data is shown at aggregated geographies.
- Point Data show data as icons, which represent addresses, on the map.
- Map Boundary are geographic boundaries like County, City, Census Tracts, and more.